The holiday season is already here, and with my upcoming travels, I decided to share some of my best travel advice. Dedicated only to packing. Which let’s be honest we all have trouble deciding what to pack and what to leave behind. Especially when you have limited space in your suitcase and you just don’t want to be bringing everything with you. So I decided to make a list of all my best travel tips and tricks so it can help you in your next packing situation.
This post contains some Affiliate Links. Which means that I make a small commission from the products that I mention, at no cost to you. If you want to read more about my Affiliate Links Click Here.
- Packing Cubes. – Hands down they do make a difference. I was on the fence about buying them for around a year. I always thought that they do not help. But earlier this year I bought a set of packing cubes and OMG! They are the best thing. They help you organized all your clothes and keeping them how you want them. And the best thing you put your clothes in them and you just play Tetris in your suitcase. Way easier than organizing all your clothes. Plus, when you are looking for a certain item you don’t disorganized all your clothes.
- Roll your clothes. – it’s a space saver and they don’t wrinkle. I used to fold my clothes really neat, so I can know what I had in my suitcase. But every time that I looked for something it always messed everything by trying to take that one item. With tolling is different because you can take stuff easy without disorganizing everything.
- Take only half of your clothes. – This is simple. Put on your bed the clothing items that you want to take with you. And cut the amount in half. You don’t need everything. I put this to test and it worked on my last trip. Like a charm. I only took an extra top just in case and I did end up using it (but because I stained with coffee the top that I was using that day). And you should have clothes that you can wear with everything. Not just that one pair of jeans that can only be worn with that one top. You don’t want that. You want all your items of clothing to be able to be exchangeable with themselves.
- Weather. – This is really important you don’t want to be caught in the middle of a storm with just a light jacket. I always recommend checking the weather in the same week that you are traveling. This way you will be able to pack the right items of clothing.
- Put them in bags. – Even though they are clean when you pack the might get dirty. So, to keep everything else clean, just put them in a bag.
- Two pairs of shoes. – This depends on the type of travel that you are making and the weather. However, I recommend bringing only 2 pairs of shoes. One walking pair of shoes and one a little bit dressier but still comfortable (that you can wear in different situations, not just one time).
- Put them in the bottom of the suitcase. – Shoes tend to be heavy. So put them in the bottom of your suitcase so it doesn’t fall over.
- Toiletry bag. – waterproof, you should always look for a bag that is waterproof. Sometimes your liquids explode and you don’t want your favorite t-shirt to be stained with conditioner (true story). Look for one that is travel-friendly and waterproof.
- Travel size bottles. – Put all your liquids in travel size bottles. Even though you are checking your bag, having a big toiletry bag can be difficult. Put all you must have toiletries liquids that are in a big size into little bottles.
- Samples. – I like to save all the samples that I get from my favorite products in order to take them with me when I travel. So, I already have them in a small size when I need them.
- Small pouches. – If you are bringing a lot of accessories I always recommend small pouches. You can put all your accessories there and keep them organized in a bag. This way they won’t get all tangled. I tried to put them in a pillbox, but it’s not that practical.
- Laptop.- I’m not a big fan of bringing big electronics like a laptop in your travels. However, I understand that sometimes you need to. My recommendations are always bringing it in your carry on and with a case. Never by itself. It can get a scratch or just mishandled.
- Camera.– This is the only electronic that I always bring with me in my travels. However, please be sure to pack it properly in the case and in your carry on. Never in your checked bag. It can get loss. and put it in an accessible place in your carry on, when it’s time to pass through security.
- Chargers.– Always keep all your cables, charges and adapters in one bag, is less likely to lose one of them this way. And bring it in your carry on with you.
These are a couple of the products that I´ve used and love (especially packing cubes! did I mention that before?). Remember that with Ebates you get money back everytime you make a purchase online. And if you use our link, you get $10 dollars when you signed up!
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive the complete free Basic Packing list (and other amazing content like budget templates and printables) and be part of the tribe
These are all my tips and tricks for packing I hope they are helpful for you. If you have any other advice, tips or tricks that you want to share leave in the comments below.