December is here and with it brings the snow, food, and presents. December is usually where you find more people doing shopping, in supermarkets, at the mall and especially at airports or bus stations. Mostly because it’s a time where you get a break from school and work, however, is also time to give, share and receive.
The Christmas presents have a meaning to give thanks for the support, love, and light that people in your life gives you. That’s why this time of the year is perfect to give a present to people that you appreciate the most.
You should make a list (if you haven’t noticed, we love making list) of all the people that you are planning to give presents to. Among family, friends, co-workers; this will give you an idea of how many presents you are going to be giving. If you are one of those persons that enjoy making presents for others, you are going to enjoy this time before the holiday.
One of the many things you should consider first, in order to have the presents this year is the budget you are going to be giving to each present, the amount of presents and the time you are going to spend (either by making them or buying them). And not forgetting that what the present itself is important.
The presents are given to people that had a lot of meaning and impact in your life this past year, friends, family, partner. But not because the present is bigger or smaller, it lacks importance. Because it doesn’t matter what kind of present you are giving it takes time, dedication and appreciation.
Therefore, we are going to be giving you a couple of categories of gifts ideas in order to help you decide what present you should be giving.
- Technological presents: Usually these are the ones that most people enjoy (either kids or adults) because in this time of the year are little bit more affordable to give laptops, Ipads, cell phones, video games, anything technological. But you have to keep in mind that, even though they are a little bit more affordable than the rest of the year, they still are expensive and it can be over your ideal budget.
- More traditional present: this kind of present we can see them everywhere. We are talking about scarfs, gloves, warm and fuzzy sucks, pajamas, coffee mugs. These presents are the ones that it doesn’t matter who you are giving them to, they can use it. Mostly because in some places the cold starts since October al through early February. These presents are easy to get and affordable. But then again there are a lot of people that don’t like this kind of presents and are the least expectant, so they have that against it. Personally, I love hats and warm pajamas for winter, so if you decide to give me one I be more than happy.
- Meaningful presents: They can vary from cost to time to get. This presents characterize to have a meaning in the relationship that you have with that person. An example, in friendships, if they have known each other for a while, it would be easier to get a present for them that they truly love. So, if you decide to give them a book because they love to read or a guitar because they want to play the guitar and love music. The cost might vary, but these presents are the best and the reaction that they had when they open it is the ones that you want to get in a video because they get so excited that they scream, cry and just get to overwhelm.
- DIY presents: these presents have been delivered to parents, siblings, grandparents, since “apparently” the beginning of time. When the kindergarten or elementary teacher made you make a card that eventually you give to your loved ones. And then you start growing up and a card or a drawing is not as well received as it used to. It’s like almost turning into a graphic designer for presents in these kinds. DIY presents are perfect because are the most affordable (depending on the kind of gift and materials). However, you need time and patience to make them. They can go from a scrapbook to a frame with different photos of the family, scented candles, soaps, bath bombs, even slippers or blankets. If you are planning on using these kinds of gifts consider that you really need time to make them. And if you are creative and crafty this will be the easiest for you.
- Edible presents: They can be one of the best presents but they don’t last long and usually are not that expensive. Personally, I really enjoy this kind of presents, since I love cooking. It can be from cookies, candies, chocolates, the possibilities are endless. And it this time of year, these foods are one of the most enjoyable and this kind of gift is well received by almost anyone. The only downside in this kind of present is the timing. Because you must make it one or two days before you give it to the person. Since it´s food it might spoil or taste bad if you keep it a longer period. And you don’t want that the receiver gets stomach flu from your gift.
Advice for your holiday shopping
- Buy your gifts in time: This will allow you to have more gifts option and you avoid larger crowds in the stores.
- Make a list: of all the people that you are giving presents to and the present that you are going to be giving them.
- Wrapping: you can be crafty at the time you are wrapping your presents and buy the same kind of paper for all your gifts or construction paper and different color ribbons.
- Amount of gifts: We recommend to only be giving gifts to the people more closely to you, this way the amount would be smaller but big gifts.
I hope that this has help you with your holiday shopping. If you have any other tips you used at the time of shopping please let us know in the comments.
If you need a gift guide you can read our previous post here, where we talk about a gift guide under $70 dollars.